The Wrong Kind Of People...

James Barbour


People often ask me questions about my career and how I got started and what path did I follow to achieve what I've achieved? The basic answer is, I worked my butt off as hard as I could and continue to do so on a daily basis.  Drive, dedication and a sense of purpose no matter what obstacles are thrown in your path is the true way to succeed. 

Here's a key piece of information that I've learned. You might have people in your life who tell you that you shouldn't follow your dreams, "don't do this, don't do that", or "that's a really tough business and most people fail"...etc.  Those kinds of people, the people that give me that kind of "advice" ...I move them out of my life.  Look, we all encounter them everyday but wouldn't it be better to surround yourself with people who WANT you to succeed in your chosen path?  Can you imagine that?  Seriously...think about that for a second.  You are surrounded by like minded individuals all striving for happiness and success and helping YOU do the same thing.  

In my experience people who are telling you "NOT TO" either have failed in their path to achieve their goals (if they even had them to begin with) or are fearful that your success will remind them of their own failures. By secretly wanting you to fail they are justifying their own failures and making it ok for them not to have succeeded.

Now don't get me wrong, there is a time to listen and take advice, but you and I know the difference between constructive advice and destructive advice.  Say for example you want to pursue a career as a Doctor.

Well someone might say, "Hey great choice.  One word of advice, be prepared for some long hours and a very demanding schedule.  It's a tough path to follow but if you want to do it...just be ready for all that comes with it.  If you're up to there challenge...go for it." That's honest, true while at the same time supportive.

Whereas someone else might say, "Wow a doctor?  Really?  Man that's gonna be tough. You'll spend a ton of money on your education and most likely have a ton of student loans which will take you years to pau off, not to mention the liability insurance.  I mean what if you fall into a medical malpractice situation?  Heck...you can do it if you REALLY want to, but if I were in your shoes...I'd chose something else."

 Here's the thing...they're NOT in your shoes.  Do you see the difference in the second persons "advice"?  They don't want you to succeed at your dream.  They're doing everything they can do to make becoming a Doctor look horrible.

Sometimes it's hard to spot but one thing I know...if you feel weird or "bad" after speaking with someone...trust your gut.  Chances are that's not the kind of "constructive" advice you want to apply to your goals and dreams and subsequently not the kind of person you want in your life.

I do my best to surround myself with like minded people.  Forward thinking, positive individuals who want everyone around them to succeed. The other kind of people...they just create noise to try and distract you from your goals.  So with noise...I usually turn down the volume or turn the channel.  

The focus of my TV show, James Barbour Now on www.MYGCTV.com, is to talk with prominent people in the entertainment field and discuss their goals, their life and their way of thinking about the industry.  We'll touch on current projects of course, but we show the person, the real person behind the "persona" and get down to the nitty gritty of the positive aspects of their lives and how that positivity has influenced their career.

We'll be filming new episodes from New York City in just a couple of weeks.  I'm going to bring on some pretty cool guests from the not only the entertainment community, but the areas of fashion, sports, finance...you name it.  After all it is the Big Apple, the melting pot.

You can always get updates on:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/JamesBarbourNow
GCTV: www.grantcardonetv.com/jamesbarbournow




Comments

Popular Posts