The Art of Braids...



OK...so the bottom line is I can't make braids as well as mommy can.  "That's OK Daddy..."


It's true, my braid making ability is lacking, I've not the years of expereince self braiding my own hair for years as a child, teen and young adult, but does that mean that I can't learn?!


NO!


I have decided to become braid proficient.  After all "Rapunzel has a long braid Daddy."  


I wonder if Flynn had to become expert in the art of Braiding (she did cut her hair...heck...maybe THAT'S the real reason Flynn chopped it at the end.  So that HE wouldn't have to learn the art of the braid and not to save he from Donna Murphy (who by the way for those of you who don't know her...is the farthest thing from that character.  Just shows how brilliant she is as an actress.)


Ahhhh but I digress.


Naturally I have to start at the beginning and thus with the definition of "Braid."



Braid

  [breyd] 
verb (used with object)
1.
to weave together strips or strands of; plait: to braid the hair.
2.
to form by such weaving: to braid a rope.
3.
to bind or confine (the hair) with a band, ribbon, etc.
4.
to trim with braid, as a garment.
noun
5.
a braided length or plait, especially of hair.
6.
a hair style formed by interweaving three or more strandsof hair.
7.
a narrow, ropelike band formed by plaiting or weavingtogether several strands of silk, cotton, or other material,used as trimming for garments, drapery, etc.
8.
a band, ribbon, etc., for binding or confining the hair.

Origin: 
before 950; Middle English braiden, breiden  (v.), Old English bregdan to move quickly, move to and fro, weave; cognate with OldNorse bregtha, Dutch breien

braid·er, noun
well-braid·ed, adjective

braid, brayed.

(I MUST of course then define the word Bray...mostly because I love one of the meanings of it's origin!  Please note the red text below...)


bray

1   [brey]  Show IPA
noun
1.
the loud, harsh cry of a donkey.
2.
any similar loud, harsh sound.
verb (used without object)
3.
to utter a loud and harsh cry, as a donkey.
4.
to make a loud, harsh, disagreeable sound.

verb (used with object)
5.
to utter with a loud, harsh sound, like a donkey.
Origin: 
1250–1300; Middle English brayen  < Old French braire  to cry out(cognate with Medieval Latin bragÄ«re  to neigh) < Celtic;  compareOld Irish braigid  (he) breaks wind


In my defense I have become fairly proficient in the art of the Barrette. I have mastered most themes, Princess Barrette, Hello Kitty, Winnie-The-Pooh and even the retro plastic barrette from the early 1970's.  

So now it is off to the "Mommy please teach me how to braid" school for "Daddy's in search of the Art of the Braid."  

I have to admit...I love being a dad!




Comments

Popular Posts