Effort


EFFORT


What kind of effort do you estimate it takes to reach your goals?  There's a great book by my friend Grant Cardone called The 10X Rule in which he says it takes at least 10 TIMES the effort you think it will take to actually achieve what you've set out in front of you.

When you look at what the average person does in a day, what they put in place, how many hours they work, how many phone calls they make, social media posts, meetings, follow ups, lead generation, the average persons effort is just that...average.

There's a chapter in 10X where Grant talks about this very phenomenon.  I'm paraphrasing now but it goes something like this.  So think about it this way.

Your friend comes up to you and says "Wow, I went to the theatre last night and I saw this AVERAGE show, with AVERAGE actors and AVERAGE music. It was a truly AVERAGE night!"

Based on what your friend told you about that show would you want to go and see it?  Not me.  I want extraordinary.  But this is often how we live our lives...average.

I work continually.  I work hard so that my family can live, eat, have shelter and all the things that are necessary in life.  I also work so that I can give back.  I like donating my time and money to worthy causes.  Help is a big button for me.

A True Story Of 'Less Than'

I had Grant Cardone on my radio show a few years ago and I asked him what he thought of a conversation I had with a colleague of mine.  It went something like this:

A guy I was working with said to me, "I just want to make enough money to pay my bills and get by."

When I mentioned this conversation to Grant on air he literally almost jumped through the microphone.

He said "Come on that "Bull S--t man!  No one wants to just "get by."  that's an excuse because he hasn't reached the goals he really wants to reach." He went on to say that if a producer came up to my friend and said, 'I've got a major role in a film for you and I'm going to pay you 5 million bucks" what's he gonna say then?  "No thank you, just give me enough money to "get by and pay my bills."  Get real!  He's gonna jump at that money in a split second!'

Solution

We basically have to stop making excuses for ourselves, face the music and take action!

No matter what you face in life, no matter how hard you think it is for you  right now...trust me...you can overcome it.  Turn off the noise, turn off the haters (they're certainly not achieving anything in their lives anyway so why listen to them) surround yourself with the right people and THRIVE!

It takes a ton of effort and not waiting for the knight in shining armor to come and save you.  YOU have to put in the work, YOU have to make it happen.  YOU are responsible for YOU.

Exercise:
  • Think of what you want to do, write it down and then create a battle plan on how you're going to achieve that goal.  
  • Estimate the effort you think it will take and then multiply that times 10.  
  • Actually write down on a notepad what it is that you're going to do, what actions and how many each day. 
  • Keep it by your bedside, add to it each night and look at it each morning when you wake.


Here are some examples:

  • I'm going to increase mailing to casting directors to 10 times a month (from 1 a month to 10 a month...to the SAME CASTING DIRECTOR and do the same for each one).
  • I'm going to speak to 10 times as many people today about my business or product. 
  • I'm going to increase my social media posts to 20 times a day with relevant content.
These are just a few ideas but I'm sure you get the picture.  Expand!


When you start taking action in that bandwidth you'll soon discover that you're leaving all of the "average" behind you.

Please share this post with your friends.  Let's help everyone reach the dreams they've always been dreaming about.  Together we can really make the world a better place.

Follow James on TwitterInstagramYouTube and Facebook

If you haven't done so sign up for the James Barbour Newsletter.  It's free and you'll get updates and insider info on all of name's upcoming appearances and projects.

Visit www.JamesBarbour.com to join


Comments

Popular Posts