Actors

Sometimes I forget just how powerful individual performances can be.

I was watching a film tonight with Tommy Lee Jones and it struck me just how interesting an actor he is.  He's had a long, long career and a very diverse one.

I then started to look at what he does, how he acts, the choices he makes etc.  And what's fascinating to me is the naturalistic sense he has.  It's like if you were sitting in your living room with him, he'd probably be exactly the same way as he is on the screen.

That, to me, is an incredible thing.  There is an ease about his work that I so admire.  

Uta Hagen spoke about "the cat in the chair" in her book "Respect For Acting."  She spoke of how the stillness of a cat took more focus than the action going on around it, simply because of it's stillness it became the more interesting object to the eye.

There is a stillness, an ease about Tommy Lee Jones with which I am fascinated.  Anthony Hopkins has the same as does Alan Rickman.  

Just some thoughts, gives me inspiration.  We always need to "fill-up" every once in a while.  

And oh..we'll be announcing some of my special guests on Monday.  Well...one at least.  :)

Click Below so that you...

Comments

Artistic1 said…
Funny, Tommy Lee has been a favorite of mine for a long time now. I have always admired his work...particularly liked him in "Eyes of Laura Mars". And I like the fact that he is very well schooled...actually went to Harvard...a nice example to follow by other actors-to-be.
Kathy said…
I like "the cat in the chair" theory.
It immediately reminded me of the scene from Tale where you sing "If Dreams Came True." It was one of the most powerful solos in the entire show, but it started out with you in the very back of a dimly lit stage right. There was so much choregraphy going on with Lucie and Charles, but my eyes kept trying to find where that voice was coming from--the still Sydney back in shadows.
Still miss Tale... its nice to recall a few scenes.

ps-Loved Tommy Lee in The Fugitive.
Kathy said…
I like "the cat in the chair" theory.
It immediately reminded me of the scene from Tale where you sing "If Dreams Came True." It was one of the most powerful solos in the entire show, but it started out with you in the very back of a dimly lit stage right. There was so much choregraphy going on with Lucie and Charles, but my eyes kept trying to find where that voice was coming from--the still Sydney back in shadows.
Still miss Tale... its nice to recall a few scenes.

ps-Loved Tommy Lee in The Fugitive.
goldandcurls said…
It's Monday! Time to announce one of your guests!
Siobhan said…
I love Alan Rickman and got a chance to meet him while he was here doing the play Private Lives. Nice, down to earth man...(there is a photo of us on my facebook page)
Hey, why not write something about your new red motorcycle?? Cool bike :)

Popular Posts